Pittsburgh Truck Accident Lawyers
Trusted Pittsburgh Truck Accident Attorneys Ready To Help You
As most people who have spent any time on the interstate recently probably realize, semi-trucks are everywhere. These gigantic vehicles that share the road with us each day play an important and critical role in supporting commerce throughout our country. The truth is that it would be hard to live life as we know it without the services they provide. Unfortunately, however, along with the necessary and important services that trucks provide comes a certain amount of risk and danger. In fact, thousands of people tragically die in passenger vehicles each year as a result of accidents involving a semi-truck, not to mention the other countless non-fatal injuries that occur.
When these accidents happen, it is often the driver and passengers in the smaller vehicle that suffers the worst of the damage. This only makes sense, as a passenger vehicle, on average, weighs approximately 4,000 pounds, while an 18-wheeler can weigh up to as much as 80,000 pounds. Understandably, then, the results of an accident with a large truck can be catastrophic, to say the least. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver Error: Truck drivers are only human, after all. Just as any other drivers do, truck drivers make mistakes. When compounded by often driving over the speed limit to meet deadlines or failing to thoroughly complete necessary training and safety requirements, these driver errors can significantly increase the chance of accidents.
- Drowsy Driving: Truck drivers are often overworked and on tight deadlines. As a result, many drivers understandably become fatigued and get very little rest while driving extremely long distances. This fatigue can contribute to a loss of coordination and concentration, and even in extreme cases, falling asleep at the wheel.
- Driving While under the Influence: Because of the demanding work schedule and fatigue that results, many drivers turn to use illegal substances to help them stay awake. Understandably, these substances impair coordination and judgment and lead to an increased number of accidents.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Despite the fact that truck drivers are legally required to ensure that their trucks are in good condition before they begin a haul, many drivers often fail to spend the time and expense necessary to do so, which often leads to accidents that could otherwise be avoided. There are also required cargo weight limits. If these are not followed or if the cargo is not properly secured, accidents are also prone to occur.
- Equipment Failure: In some cases, truck equipment may actually be defective from the very beginning. In these cases, whether the accident is ultimately the fault of the driver or the fault of defective equipment, the results can be devastating.
If you have been involved in a truck accident for any of the above reasons or another reason that is no fault of your own, you may be entitled to recover compensation as a result of your injuries. Under Pennsylvania law, you may be entitled to recover compensation for past, present, and future medical expenses. You may also be entitled to compensation for lost wages, the loss of anticipated future earnings, and property damage, as well as for other particular damages that may be unique to your situation. An experienced Pittsburgh truck accident lawyer with knowledge and experience in this area of the law will be able to advise you as to your rights and what you may be able to recover.
Let KDS Legal Help You Today
Do you live in Pittsburgh or the surrounding community? Have you been the unfortunate victim of a trucking accident? If so, it is completely understandable that you may be feeling shocked, overwhelmed, and uncertain of what steps to take next. Your first step should be to seek adequate medical care. Nothing is more important than ensuring that your injuries receive the professional care and treatment that is necessary. After that, however, your next step should be to call a skilled Pittsburgh truck accident attorney at KDS Legal.
The team at Kapusta, Deihl, and Schweers has the knowledge and experience that you need on your side to seek the compensation you deserve as you recover and attempt to move on from your truck accident. Our team is dedicated to passionately pursuing justice on behalf of our clients, and we can assure you that we will keep you informed and updated on every aspect of your case, every step of the way. We can also assure you that, at KDS Legal, we only get paid if you do. There are no hidden fees or costs to you, just the necessary blend of compassionate yet aggressive representation you need to recover the compensation you deserve. Call us today.