Pittsburgh Product Liability Lawyers
Proven Pittsburgh Product Liability Attorneys Ready To Fight For You
If you live in Pittsburgh or a surrounding community and you have recently been injured by a defective product, you may be wondering whether you have the right to file a lawsuit. This is a valid and understandable question and one about which you deserve answers. In short, the answer is, “yes.” In many circumstances, those who are injured by defective products through no fault of their own do have legal grounds to seek compensation for their injuries. At Kapusta, Deihl, and Schweers, we are here to help you do exactly that. Our talented and experienced product liability legal team is here to listen to your circumstances and to advise you on how we may be able to help.
What Is a Product Liability Claim, Anyway?
Legally, product manufacturers have a duty and responsibility to their customers to ensure that the products they manufacture and distribute are safe for consumer use. In the majority of cases, manufacturers uphold their duty, and we are, fortunately, able to use and enjoy an almost endless supply of helpful and valuable products each day. Unfortunately, however, this is not always the case; sometimes products do end up being defective, and those defects end up causing injury to you, the consumer, even if you are using the products as advised and intended.
Defective products can range from vehicles (including cars, trucks, and motorcycles), to children’s goods and toys, to everyday household products, to lawn equipment, to sporting good items and anything in between. If you have been injured by a defective product, you may have a basis to file a claim on one of several grounds:
- Design Defect: This type of claim arises when the design of the product itself is unsafe. A defective design, by default, causes the entire line of product to be unreasonably dangerous. These claims can apply to the product itself – one example being a lawnmower with a defective safety guard that increases the chance of being injured by the blade. Another example of a defective design claim might apply to the packaging of a product – for example, a drug that is supposed to be in a childproof container, although the container fails to actually be childproof, leading to an injury.
- Manufacturing Defect: A manufacturing defect can apply to a particular batch of products or perhaps to one particular product, depending upon the circumstances. In these types of claims, the product may be generally well-designed but the way in which it was made causes it to be unsafe.
- Insufficient Warnings or Instructions: A manufacturer has a duty to properly instruct its consumers on how to use its products as well as to provide any reasonable warnings with regard to the potential dangers of the products. Failure to do this may give rise to a product liability claim.
While these are a few of the general grounds for a product liability claim, consultation with a qualified and experienced Pittsburgh product liability lawyer regarding your particular circumstances is always important to determine what basis you may have for your personal claim and potential damages.
What Damages Might I Be Entitled To?
Those who have been injured as a result of a defective product (and file a products liability lawsuit) may be entitled to a variety of damages, including:
- Compensatory Damages: These are damages for things like medical bills, time lost from work, and property damage caused by the defective product.
- Pain and Suffering: These damages, while harder to place a figure on, are important as well and represent compensation for the pain you’ve endured as a result of your injury.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, if the defendant’s conduct was particularly egregious, courts may award punitive damages to “punish” the defendant and act as a deterrent to others.
This list, of course, is not exhaustive. Consulting with a Pittsburgh product liability attorney regarding your particular circumstances is always wise and helpful.
Call KDS Legal Today
Do you believe that you may be entitled to file a product liability claim based on an injury you’ve suffered because of a defective product? If so, you should not delay seeking experienced legal help immediately. At KDS Legal, we are here for you, and we want to pursue justice on your behalf as you seek the compensation you rightfully deserve. Call us today so that our experienced product liability law team can listen to your story and advise you on how we may be able to help. We look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.